Saturday, February 6, 2010

dia de los muertos!



For those of you who don't know, dia de los muertos is a celebration for the deceased and is in no way spooky or intended to be scary. Families create altars inside their households with wash bins, soap, flowers, candles, crosses, personal items and even tequila to aid the traveling spirits. A popular offering for the dead is a treat known as a sugar skull, generally a sugar mixture made in a skull mode and decorated with central/south american folk art.

For my platinum palladium prints I want to take portraits of girls with the artwork of the sugar skulls painted on their faces. I found an artist while searching through one of my million bookmarked fashion blogs, Sylvia Ji, whose work inspired me to recreate her paintings as photographic prints. Her work is acrylic on wood and is absolutely stunning:



8 comments:

  1. I really like the Idea of recreating a symbol of a national holiday in an photographic Image. You have spent time doing research about your concept and it is a strong one. Good luck with all the things a Fashion shoot involves (set, makeup, models, lightin, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeee. Now this can be really good with really well done makeup and styling. I am interested to see how you'll make it just as vibrant and edgy without color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm excited to see how you do this. My only concern is that you won't have enough time, considering from the cyanotypes you didn't have time to make them the size you wanted. i really hope it works out though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My question for you now is whether or not you are going to do the makeup to your models, use Photoshop, or a combination? pull some images together and lets see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do see the promise in using digital and scanning patterns, lace, etc. then blending onto your subject.

    I also have Marshall colors for hand coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to do the makeup myself, my only concern at the moment is doing such detailed work to 6 different faces. I definitely want to incorporate lace and textures to the images though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring your laptop, an image of a face, and some scanned lace to class... and let us see what we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited to see how you pull your two major elements together (the faces and the lace). I think that if you wanted, you could even try drawing lace patterns onto your negatives, to continue with the hand painted feel to the images.

    ReplyDelete